How do I create a list of field names in Excel?
For each field in the Sage Timberline Office database, there is an internal name and a user-friendly caption. The user-friendly captions are much more intuitive and the internal names are more cryptic. Office Connector uses the internal names in queries and worksheet functions because these names never change even when custom descriptions are altered in Timberline. This creates the need to sometimes produce a list of the user-friendly names along with their internal names for easy cross-reference.
See this technique demonstrated in this online tutorial
- Insert a query on a new worksheet, making sure to include all field names.
- Copy the field names from the top row of the query and use Paste Special / Transpose to put them in your list.
- Go back to the query sheet and click the SQL Editor toolbar button.
- Replace the field names (the text between SELECT and FROM) with an asterisk character (*).
- Click Save to replace the friendly field names with the internal names.
- Copy the internal field names from the top row of the query and use Paste Special / Transpose to put them in your list.